Summer Acceleration Program – BEGINS
Greetings Ellington Families,
We are excited about summer learning! Our goal is to help fill the gaps that have been created by current circumstances related to Covid and respond with meaningful learning experiences for students to help them “accelerate” their learning towards a successful new school year in 2021/22. DC Public Schools has allocated funds to schools to design experiences for students as part of Accelerated Learning. These experiences will be offered as part of our Summer Acceleration and Summer Bridge Academies throughout this summer. At Ellington, our program encapsulates a blend of Academics and Arts.
We would love for you to join us! Please complete this form to secure your student’s space, indicating which areas they are interested in attending. The deadline to complete the form is Friday, June 18. Upon completion, you will receive a confirmation email with details on the next steps regarding the program. Please note: Only Ellington students are eligible for Summer Acceleration and the following rules apply:
- Students who are eligible, must attend DCPS Summer School for an opportunity to recover up to two (2) credits in order to remain on track for graduation.
- Students who have been invited to attend Summer Intensive by their respective Arts department will attend Summer Intensive.
- More information regarding DCPS Summer Programming and Credit Recovery can be found at https://dcpsreopenstrong.com/recovery/summer/
Summer Acceleration Eligibility
Subject to the above rules, Summer Acceleration is offered to students who will be 9th-, 10th-, and 11th-graders next year.
NOTE: All Summer Acceleration and Summer Bridge Activities at Ellington are in person.
Summer Acceleration Dates
July 7 – Aug. 6, 9:30 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays (Wednesdays reserved for deep cleaning)
Summer Bridge Description
This is a community building program that focuses on academic and personal goal setting and student wellness. It will be facilitated simultaneously with Summer Acceleration the first week of August. More information regarding Summer Bridge is forthcoming. Please send questions to Ms. Donna Hollis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Bridge Dates – August 2, 2021 – August 6, 2021
All students at Ellington this summer will receive:
- English Language Arts, Writing Workshop,
- ELA Basic Skills Support,
- Math – Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
- Math Basic Skills Support,
Students will select from the following Arts disciplines: Dance, Instrumental Music, Literary Media & Communications, Museum Studies, Technical Design & Production, Theatre, Visual Arts, and Vocal Music.
To reiterate, our goal for Summer Acceleration is to support students as they transition back to in-person learning with a full day of opportunities to:
- Fill in educational gaps
- Develop and cultivate initial exposure to and appreciation for the Arts!
- Engage in social-emotional learning (SEL) lessons
- Have hands-on, in-person learning experiences
- Have FUN!
Please be mindful that all students must follow the Ellington Dress Code Policy, which will be provided in your Welcome Packet. More details are forthcoming. For questions, please email email@example.com.
Thank you and have a great day!.