- Instrumental Music
- Literary Media & Communications
- Museum Studies
- Technical Design & Production
- Visual Arts
- Vocal Music
DESA’s Arts Departments provides a thorough, comprehensive training ground for young people who believe they will pursue an artistic career. Cultivating critical thinking, art making, self-discovery, and technical development—all are objectives of our arts curriculum. The nurturing faculty at Ellington promotes students’ mastery of their unique creative processes, opportunities to collaborate across disciplines, exposure to prominent cultural leaders and artists—as well as the solid academic bones—to enable them to shape their own careers. Whether they decide to pursue college degrees or go directly for professional arts opportunities, our dedicated students grow through intensive training and numerous opportunities to exhibit their artwork as well as to perform, publish, and document their experience.
Each student at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts is responsible for a $200 annual arts fee. You may pay a one payment of $200 or pay in 5 monthly installments of $40 each.
What do your Arts Fees go toward? 100% of the arts fees go specifically towards your child’s arts department to provide resources and experiences that are fundamental to the training of young professionals in any arts discipline. Arts fees help provide the “must haves” that include, but are not limited to:
- Dance – Dance publications, teaching aids, and music.
- Instrumental Music – Instrument purchases, repairs, and accessories, headphones, and sheet music.
- Literary Media and Communications – Project licensing, field trips, publication of print projects, and computer software.
- Museum Studies – Guest lectures, field trips, exhibition supplies and printing.
- Technical Design and Production – Scripts, books, subscriptions to Stage Directions magazine and others, and lighting/sound software.
- Theatre – Production Materials (i.e. sets, costumes, props, light, sound), scripts, master classes, field trips and royalties.
- Visual Arts – Mats, paints, charcoal, canvas, and art paper.
- Vocal Music – Musical scores, costumes, music licensing, catering for student meals, accompanists, some field trip expenses.