- Instrumental Music
- Literary Media & Communications
- Museum Studies
- Technical Design & Production
- Visual Arts
- Vocal Music
"You can cage the singer, but not the song."
- Harry Belafonte
Vocal music students receive vocal training in classical style (four years) and are required to take music theory (Sight singing and music reading and writing, four years), a choir (four years chosen from: Female Ensemble, Male Ensemble, Jazz Vocal Styles, Chamber Singers, Show Choir) and class piano (sometimes combined with music theory). Electives include Opera Workshop, Dance Orientation, Introduction to Acting, Songwriting, Music Composition, Music Technology, Music History, and African-American Music History. Students are required to attend elective classes as chosen or assigned. Students perform occasionally as soloists (as designated by their teachers) on recitals, and if they demonstrate excellence in their semester jury, on Honors Recitals, and prepare a solo recital in the senior year.
Students majoring in Vocal Music at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts study the following five major components of the discipline:
- Vocal Technique: The how-to of breath management, tone, vowel placement, diction in English and other languages, physical technique, stage deportment, vocal health, etc.
- Performance: Stage presence, auditioning, musical style
- Music theory: Reading and writing musical language
- Ensemble: Working as part of a group to produce music
- Piano: The instrument essential for every singer
By practicing each of the above daily, Ellington students learn rigor, cultivating a professionalism that enables them to succeed in virtually any style or situation.
To pay Arts Fees CLICK HERE.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
|Vocal Techniques I||Vocal Techniques II||Vocal Techniques III||Vocal Techniques IV/ Opera Workshop|
|Choir I||Choir II||Choir III||Choir IV|
|Piano Theory I||Piano Theory II||Music Theory III||Music Theory IV* OR
AP Theory OR
|Intro to Sight Singing||Sight Singing I||Sight Singing II||Sight Singing III|
*Electives: Selection options as designated by Vocal Music chair