- Admissions Calendar & Audition Schedule
- Admissions Process & Application
- Audition Procedures
- Open Houses
What we are looking for
- Passion – A student must have a desire for singing and the eagerness to learn the technical aspects of the art form. Students must be willing to adapt to a scientific and holistic (healthy vocal technique) approach to singing. Students must have a willingness to learn to sing in multiple languages and varying genres.
- Vocal Potential – Students must have a clear ability to match pitch (good intonation and tonal memory), a good sense of rhythm and a suitable vocal range.
- Performance Potential – Students must have a willingness to explore all possibilities of the art form through expression (taking chances) and vulnerability.
- Academic Success – As Ellington is a college preparatory school we are looking for students who are able to be successful in their academics and arts classes.
- A Cooperative Attitude – Students must be able to work well with others in and outside of class. One must be a dedicated student who practices and strives for excellence.
- Endurance – Students must have the stamina to successfully manage the longer school day, which is 9+ hrs in addition to daily homework, daily practice and performances.
What to bring/how to prepare
To prepare for your audition, memorize one piece from this list and arrive in business casual attire.
- Lift Every Voice and Sing (Entire 1st verse ending with “Til victory is won”)
- The Star-Spangled Banner
- Caro mio ben (in Italian)
- America the Beautiful (Entire 1st verse ending with “From sea to shining sea”)
- Climb Every Mountain
- Amazing Grace (Entire 1st verse ending with “Blind but now I see”)
- An Art song in English, Italian or German
The audition process
During your audition for the Vocal Music Department at DESA, you will:
- Present a musical selection chosen from the list (sung a cappella)
- Be tested in aural skills via vocal exercises and pitch matching
Upon completion of the initial auditions, the Vocal Music faculty will select a group of students to continue the audition process by participating in a 3-day afternoon vocal music callback class. Students are required to attend all days of the callback class in order to remain a candidate for the Vocal Music department. Students invited for callbacks will be notified by the Admissions Office.
Have a successful audition
To present yourself in the best light possible:
- Dress appropriately – look like a professional (business casual)
- Say your name clearly and answer questions completely.
- Prepare your piece well (make sure the piece is memorized) and sing with confidence
- Be ready to talk about yourself, your past musical experiences and your goals for the future. Give these ideas some thought.