- Admissions Calendar & Audition Schedule
- Admissions Process & Application
- Audition Procedures
- Open Houses
What we are looking for
Ellington is looking for students with potential who demonstrate their passion for the visual arts. Successful students show strong observational skills and hand-eye coordination.
What to bring/how to prepare
Students must bring the following to their audition:
- A portfolio of at least five (5) or more works of art – on white drawing paper, 8-1/2 x 11-inch paper or larger – with at least one each in the following categories:
- A self-portrait, realistic to the best of the student’s ability,
- A drawing of a bicycle,
- A drawing of an open closet in their home (use color: pencils, makers or watercolors),
- A drawing of a landmark in the city,
- Free choice of anything of your own creation.
The 5 portfolio items above are mandatory. If you have additional portfolio item and/or a sketch book, you are welcome to bring these in as well.
The audition process itself
All students auditioning in the Visual Arts will be required to produce a drawing from a still-life during the audition, write a short essay about the form and content of a work of art presented in their portfolio, and discuss their portfolio during their interview with a Visual Arts faculty member.
Have a successful audition
- Take time and care with your required sketches.
- Be prepared to discuss your work.
- Present yourself well – arrive on time, and speak clearly and confidently.