- Admissions Calendar & Audition Schedule
- Admissions Process & Application
- Audition Procedures
- Open Houses
What we are looking for
In Museum Studies we are looking for students who exhibit intellectual curiosity – who are particularly interested in history, social studies, visual arts and/or technology. Students should have a desire to learn more about art and culture and how to effectively use computers to develop visual presentations through photography, graphic design and video.
What to bring/how to prepare
Students must bring the following to their audition:
- Three personal objects that tell something about the student, to present them as a display, and discuss the reasons for the selections,
- Five finished visual art pieces (such as a collage, a 3-D sculpture, a drawing or painting), or a science or social studies project/report completed during the past school year, to discuss during the interview.
The Audition Process Itself
Students auditioning in Museum Studies will interview with and perform for Museum Studies faculty, and during the audition will write a 250-word or more essay relevant to Museum Studies. Previous applicants have exhibited their interest in the arts, science, or history by performing either a musical piece or a drama presentation, or presenting a project done in one of these areas. Applicants will participate in exercises that examine their curiosity and creativity.
Have a successful audition
- Be prepared to talk about yourself, and why you are interested in Museum Studies.
- Bring audition items.
- Present yourself well – arrive promptly, dress neatly, speak clearly and confidently.
- All departments offer Audition Workshops in December and January to help students prepare for their official audition. Students who participate will be able to learn what to bring, review the audition procedures, learn how to build a portfolio, present their work with confidence and prepare their work for the audition. Visit ellingtonschool.org/admissions for more information and how to sign up – workshops cost $10.
- Auditions are the first week of February 2020 – immediately after the application deadline! Make sure to visit our website to review the audition schedule. Auditions are open call for all students who successfully apply via MySchoolDC. You must view your audition date and time based on your art department and the first letter of your last name.