- Admissions Calendar & Audition Schedule
- Admissions Process & Application
- Audition Procedures
- Open Houses
What we are looking for
We are first and foremost evaluating your potential and passion for your instrument, your musicality, and your willingness to work hard to move to the next level.
What to bring/how to prepare
For their audition, all students must:
- Prepare a musical selection for the audition and bring sheet music for the selection,
- Bring their own musical instrument (except for string bass, tuba, piano, and percussion) and mouthpiece (if required by instrument),
- Bring sticks and/or mallets if needed.
The audition process itself
All students auditioning in instrumental music will be required to:
- Perform a prepared musical selection,
- Perform a sampling of major scales,
- Be tested on musical response and sight-reading,
- Participate in a personal interview.
In addition to the procedures above, percussion students must present at least one of the following:
- A variety of snare drum rudiments (see http://www.pas.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/pasdrumrudiments2015.pdf),
- Any technical/musical skills on mallet percussion or timpani,
- Drumset styles such as jazz, Latin, funk, rock and/or soloing.
Students may not use any tape-recorded music for accompaniment.
Have a successful audition
- Practice! Truly prepare your musical selection.
- Arrive promptly with all required materials.
- Present yourself well – dress neatly, speak confidently and clearly.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself – your musical background, and your goals for the future.